All NCCAOM Certification applicants must meet specific training requirements prior to sitting for the examinations.
Eligibility requirements to become authorized to test and certification requirements which must be fulfilled before certification can be awarded are two different elements in the certification process.
For more information regarding ACAOM requirements please visit: ACAOM
Once your application is approved and you have been issued an Authorization to Test letter, you will not be required to meet any new eligibility requirements that may have been adopted since your application was received.
Please be aware that the NCCAOM does not accredit nor approve any colleges or institutions.
Applicants that have graduated with a degree/diploma in Acupuncture, Chinese Herbology, Oriental Medicine, or Traditional Chinese medicine from academic institutions outsied of the United States must meet the following requirements:
A. Approval by a foreign government’s Minstry of Education, Ministry of Health, or equivalent foreign government agency.
B. Approval by a foreign private accreditation agency that has an accreditation process and standards substantially equivalent to that of ACAOM, and that is recognized for that purpose by the appropriate government entity in that foreign country.
International educational programs attempting to meet the eligibility requirements under either A or B above must ALSO be deemed to have equivalency in total hours and distribution of hours are required by ACAOM standards at the time of application.
Graduates from an international academic educational institution must first apply to either the American of Collegiate Registrars and Adminssions Officers (AACRAO) or the World Education Services (WES) for a course by course educational transcript evaluation.
To apply to AACRAO please follow the steps below:
1. Complete the Foreign Education Review Application (FERA)
2. For education completed in China, credentials must be verified by the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Cetner (CDGDC) and submitted directly to AACRAO.
3. Mail all information to:
International Education Services
One Dupont Circle, NW
Washington, DC 20036-1135
For more information plese visit AACRAO’s website
For additional information please visit WES’s website.
- Route 1: Education in the United States (U.S.)
- Route 2: International Education
- Route 3: Appreticeship (U.S. or International)
- Route 4: Combination of Education and Apprenticeship (U.S. or International)
- Route 5: Conversion from Acupuncture and/or Chinese Herbology Certification to Oriental Medicine Certification
- Route 6: Reinstatement to Active Diplomate Status from Terminated Status
Please be aware that every candidate is required to meet all certification requirements in place at the point of certification. Therefore, each candidate must meet any new certification requirements that may have been added since the application was approved.